Whatcom County supports a large agricultural economy, employing many immigrants. The work of the Immigrant Rights Ministry Action Team is centered on promoting social justice for the immigrants, including fair working conditions and the abolishment of abusive practices against this under-represented group of our local citizens.
The Immigrant Rights Team mission is to affirm and promote peace, justice, fairness, and equality through action, education and raising awareness within our community and the wider world, specifically around immigrant human rights issues. The team works to support and collaborate with organizations in our community that advocate for immigrants. Some of this advocacy may include:
- Direct support and fundraising with/to/for immigrants such as our partner organization Community to Community and Familias Unidas por la Justicia
- Educational programming that seeks to increase community understanding
- Legislative work to lobby local, state, and federal government agencies
- Attending rallies, events, and marches for immigrant rights
- Promoting comprehensive immigration reform detailed in the Dignity Campaign
- Providing opportunities for compassionate action in our community
Contact Mike Betz.